Thursday 21 April 2011

Cosmetic Chemistry at the Royal Institute



Owen and Anya made their own fizzling bath bombs and luxurious lip balms at a days course at the Royal Institute. They learnt a bit about acids, bases and solubility and created colourful grenades that burst open in a fanfare of fragrance and fizz. The days course cost around £12.

Basic recipe in two parts.

Dry ingredients: (By Weight , as measured on a scale.)
Baking Soda - 8 ounces
Citric Acid - 4 ounces
Corn Starch - 4 ounces
Salts - 4 ounces

Wet Ingredients:
Water - .75 tbsp
Essential or Fragrance Oil - 2 tsp (for these I used a Ginger Peach.)
Oil - 2.5 tbsp (I used cherry kernel, but any light vegetable oil will work.)
Food coloring - 1 or 2 drops.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome!

    I am an English teacher in a small Highland school. I followed your link from a post on the TES site, partially because my cousins in NZ were (very successfully) home schooled.

    I wasn't sure how to contact you, because I was wondering if I could possibly get your advice on issues relating to autistic children in an educational environment. Clearly, your experience there was unacceptable - a teacher ripping up your daughter's work?!? I was horrified! However, I have 2 autistic children coming up from Primary into Secondary 1, and I want to make sure I don't let them down.

    Your blog is wonderfully clear and instructive :) and I feel that any advice from you would help me become a better educator, not just for the children on the autism spectrum.

    Thanks :)
    Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for such a lovely post. You can email me at geraldine@stardustkids.co.uk

    ReplyDelete