I have found that preparing the kids for big events is the most effective way of reducing his stress. I have spent the last few months preparing the kids for the move and including:
- Explaining why we are moving
- Showing him photos of the new house
- Explaining what is involved in the move
- Showing them the calender and reminding him of the move date
- Packing a bag of essential toys, clothes and food/snacks for the first few days.
Social stories may also help kids understand what is going on.
On the day of the move we ensure the kids stuff was off loaded first and their beds and essential toys unpacked first.