Cooking is great fun and measuring and weighing provides the perfect maths lesson.
- 75g butter or marg
- 225g self raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 25g Raw Cane Sugar
- 75g sultanas
- 150 ml milk
- Little milk
- Heat the oven to 400F/205C/Gas 6
- Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Put flour into a bowl then add the butter, baking powder and salt. Quickly rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and sultanas and stir.
- Stir in enough milk to make a soft, pliable dough.
- Turn the mixture on to a floured board then lightly roll out to 2cm / 3/4" thick.
- Cut rounds with a 7.5cm /2" cutter or cut into triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place on the baking tray and brush with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake near the top of the hot oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.